Atlético Madrid fans see results of Metropolitano facelift
The area surrounding the Wanda Metropolitano stadium is greener, there are new glass partitions and there is a new sign on the facade.
The Wanda Metropolitano is all set for the new season, the third since its inauguration and ahead of this evening's league opener against Getafe there have been numerous cosmetic and environmental changes in and around the stadium. The most eye-catching is the giant, red and white Atleti sign outside the ground which will be illuminated when darkness falls.
The zone surrounding the Metropolitano is much greener now that a tree-lined garden area has been installed in the central walkway which was much drier at this point last season. Saplings were planted ahead of the Champions League final between Liverpool and Tottenham and those trees have grown and will eventually provide some shade as fans make their way to the stadium.
New features at the Metropolitano
The stadium also now features glass partitions which will give fans some protection on windy days in the capital. On with sweltering weather in Madrid, hot currents of air blow through gaps in the side of the stadium but that is another inconvenience that has been addressed and dealt with. There is also a new free luggage storage service and improved access for the disabled. The new system for entering the ground did cause some delays and queues today - the first time it was used.
Griezmann's plaque defaced
Out on the Wanda Metropolitano Legends Walkway, Antonie Griezmann was defaced by fans today. Plaques honouring Courtois and Arda Turan were also attacked before the Getafe game.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona's worst figures away from home in 25 years
- REAL MADRID Benzema draws level with Messi
- THE BEST 2019 Real Madrid eclipse Barcelona in FIFA FIFPro World XI
- Premier League Klopp joins Guardiola on mutual charm offensive
- REAL MADRID Ramos: "Hazard and Bale helped out defensively"
- US Soccer FC Barcelona open the door to Megan Rapinoe
- SEVILLA 0 - 1 REAL MADRID Zidane proud of full squad after Real Madrid win in Sevilla