Coutinho: Bayern Munich seal loan move for Barcelona flop
Philippe Coutinho has joined Bayern on a season-long loan with an option to buy, it was confirmed on Monday morning.
Barcelona's Philippe Coutinho has completed a year-long loan move to Bayern Munich, in a deal that includes a 120m-euro end-of-season purchase option.
In a statement, Barça confirmed that Bayern are to cover Coutinho's wages in full (the Brazilian international reportedly earns between 11 and 13m euros after tax), and are also to pay an 8.5m-euro loan fee for the 27-year-old.
Although Coutinho is only leaving on loan for now, there was a hint of finality about Barça's announcement, which thanked him for his "commitment and dedication" and added that the club "wishes him all the best in this new stage of his career".
He departs after a season and a half at Barça in which he began as the expected midfield successor to club legend Andrés Iniesta, but became a target for the Camp Nou boo boys after failing to reproduce the form that persuaded the Catalans to sign him from Liverpool in a January 2018 transfer worth 160m euros.
Coutinho, who is to wear the number 10 shirt at Bayern, told the Bundesliga giants' official website: "This move is a new challenge for me in a new country at one of the best clubs in Europe. I'm very excited."
Bayern sporting director welcomes "world-class footballer"
Meanwhile, Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said: "Philippe Coutinho made it very clear during our talks in Barcelona that he was adamant about moving to Bayern. He is a world-class footballer with outstanding technical ability and is a versatile attacking option."
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: FDA approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds, side effects, Indian variant...
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Chelsea and Manchester City ask UEFA to move Champions League final to Wembley
- ROMA VS MAN UTD Roma vs Manchester United live online: Europa League semi-final second leg
- MAYWEATHER VS LOGAN PAUL What are the covid-19 restrictions for the Mayweather vs Logan Paul fight?
- CORONAVIRUS US What percentage of vaccination is needed for herd immunity?
- WORLD NEWS Chinese rocket launch failure: what happened and what are the consequences?