Coutinho: Bayern Munich seal loan move for Barcelona flop
Philippe Coutinho has joined Bayern on a season-long loan with an option to buy, it was confirmed on Monday morning.
Barcelona's Philippe Coutinho has completed a year-long loan move to Bayern Munich, in a deal that includes a 120m-euro end-of-season purchase option.
In a statement, Barça confirmed that Bayern are to cover Coutinho's wages in full (the Brazilian international reportedly earns between 11 and 13m euros after tax), and are also to pay an 8.5m-euro loan fee for the 27-year-old.
Although Coutinho is only leaving on loan for now, there was a hint of finality about Barça's announcement, which thanked him for his "commitment and dedication" and added that the club "wishes him all the best in this new stage of his career".
He departs after a season and a half at Barça in which he began as the expected midfield successor to club legend Andrés Iniesta, but became a target for the Camp Nou boo boys after failing to reproduce the form that persuaded the Catalans to sign him from Liverpool in a January 2018 transfer worth 160m euros.
Coutinho, who is to wear the number 10 shirt at Bayern, told the Bundesliga giants' official website: "This move is a new challenge for me in a new country at one of the best clubs in Europe. I'm very excited."
Bayern sporting director welcomes "world-class footballer"
Meanwhile, Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said: "Philippe Coutinho made it very clear during our talks in Barcelona that he was adamant about moving to Bayern. He is a world-class footballer with outstanding technical ability and is a versatile attacking option."
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Thierry Henry to stay in Major League Soccer... for now
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Borussia Mönchengladbach vs Manchester City: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Atalanta vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 stimulus check in California: who qualifies and how to track
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: $600 California 2021 payment, IRS tax deadline, when it's coming | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: Will you get a $1,400 payment, and when?