Harry Maguire calls out Twitter and Instagram on racism
Manchester United's record signing defender has sent his recommendation to the social media giants after racist comments to teammate Paul Pogba.
Manchester United's new signing Harry Maguire has given a clear message to social media giants Twitter and Instagram after his teammate Paul Pogba was targeted with more racial abuse.
Maguire says Twitter/Instagram must take action
Following the 1-1 draw against Wolves on Monday evening, the French midfielder saw racist insults against him on the social media sites. Pogba had missed a penalty that would have put United ahead in the second half, with many pundits believing the spot kick should have been taken by Marcus Rashford.
Disgusting. Social media need to do something about it... Every account that is opened should be verified by a passport/driving licence. Stop these pathetic trolls making numerous accounts to abuse people. @Twitter @instagram https://t.co/bzow073aTw— Harry Maguire (@HarryMaguire93) August 20, 2019
Englishman Maguire, who joined the Old Trafford club in the summer for a world record fee for a defender, responded to a post on the matter from Sky Sports:
'Disgusting. Social media need to do something about it... Every account that is opened should be verified by a passport/driving licence. Stop these pathetic trolls making numerous accounts to abuse people. @Twitter @instagram'
Other stars in the team also took to Twitter to show their similar feelings on the matter.
There is a growing consensus that the time has come for social media companies to take a real stand and become more responsible for the content that they allow to live on their sites.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Martin Luther King Jr Day: most famous quotes & speeches
- US POLITICS Biden-Harris reveal inauguration playlist: songs and where to listen
- NFL NFL conference championship finals: dates, times & previews
- NFL Playoff Final When and where is Super Bowl LV 2021? - Date, location & kick-off time
- NFL Patrick Mahomes injured: When could he return?
- UNITED STATES $1,400 third stimulus check updates today: when is it coming, What Biden said about it, eligibility, IRS tax | Live