Barça following Pedri in an effort to beat out Premier League competition
Chelsea want Pedri and the rest of the Premier League's biggest clubs are watching too but Barcelona want to send a statement with the signing of the youngster.
Pedri González is one of the sensations at the start of the Segunda division season. He became the second youngest player to play an official game with Las Palmas at 16 years, eight months and 24 days, as they fell to Huesca on the opening weekend of the season.
The academy player took advantage of a good preseason and landed a place in the squad and starting eleven. It hasn't gone unnoticed at some of the biggest clubs in Europe either. They are looking to sign the player before the window closes. Las Palmas have the door open to a potential offer on one condition; he stays at Las Palmas for another year.
At the moment, Barcelona is the club following him closest. They have strong competition though. Chelsea have been paying attention and the rest of the Premier League's biggest teams are attentive too.
He has a release clause of €30 million but no club is willing to offer that amount yet. They are holding out for a figure closer to €10 million in order to keep him for the rest of the season.
They see his signing as a strategic one. In the last number of years, Madrid have been quick to wrap up the signings of young Spanish talent (Asensio, Cabellos, Brahim...). Another reason Barcelona are keen to wrap up his signing is he plays in the under 17 World Cup from October until November and these events tend to draw attention. A good showing from him and it could change his valuation and they want to avoid that.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus payment debit card: Do I have to activate the EIP card before I can use it?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Donald Trump is caught playing golf Amid Covid-19 outbreak
- LALIGA Tebas: "We hope Liga will return on 11 June with Sevilla-Betis"
- FOOTBALL Van Persie reveals Van Gaal gave him a slap at 2014 World Cup