Casillas to undergo tests with hopes of Porto return
The ex-Real Madrid keeper is set to undergo tests in December to determine if he can make a return to the Porto goal, according to reports in Portugal.
According to Portugal outlet A Bola, the Spanish goalkeeper will undergo several medical tests in the month of December. And if the tests prove positive, the former Real Madrid shot-stopper will be given the clear to return to the Porto goal six months after the frightening incident.
Casillas is currently acting as a liaison between the squad, the coaching staff and the Porto boardroom, a role offered to the Spanish player on a provisional basis as he continues his recovery. In fact, in August the 38-year-old was a late inclusion on Porto’s list of registered players for the Primeira Liga 2019/20 season, as both he and the club pin hopes on his return.
Porto coach: Champions like Casillas never give up
While medical experts and several personalities from the footballing world have advised that Casillas retire, the World Cup winner has always expressed his determination to return to the field of play.
In June, he took to Twitter to dismiss speculation that he was on the verge of announcing his retirement, stating: “The day will come when I have to retire. Please allow me to announce that decision when the moment arrives.”
Meanwhile, Porto coach Sergio Conceiçao, recently spoke about Casillas’s condition, highlighting his ambition and his desire to return.
“Iker is a champion and the champions never give up. Being registered at the last minute is a sign of his great will; he still has the footballer's DNA,” he said.
Having played professional football for 22 years, during which time he was won World Cup, Champions League, LaLiga, Copa del Rey and Primiera Liga titles, the last great challenge of Casillas’ career could perhaps be the most difficult of all.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus What travel recommendations have the CDC established for Thanksgiving?
- NBA LeBron James' Los Angeles Lakers set to sign Marc Gasol – reports
- BOXING Tyson vs Jones Jr: Two boxing legends and the shock defeats in their storied careers
- LIGA MX There will be a Clásico Nacional in both Women’s and Men’s playoffs in the Liga MX
- LIGA MX Four key matchups to be aware for the quarter-finals in the Liga MX
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Messi is an extravagance which Barça can no longer afford