Cruz Azul sink LA Galaxy to reach Leagues Cup final
Barros Schelotto sent out a changed lineup to face Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup semifinal, leaving Zlatan behind to say goodbye to the tournament.
LA Galaxy and Cruz Azul faced each other in the semifinal of the new tournament that pits the MLS against the Liga MX, the Leagues Cup. Both teams fought hard to earn their final ticket and meet Tigres in the Grand Final, who had overcome Club America in a penalty shootout.
Cruz Azul struck first as Jose Madueña scored the first goal with some people still making their way to their seat as the clock read just four minutes into the game. The Liga MX side controlled most of the first half, not letting LA Galaxy find space to create danger.
That was until Emil Cuello, just minutes away from the end of the first half, found the back of Jesus Corona's net to put Galaxy on the scoreboard and tie the game before the whistle.
Cruz Azul wanted that final ticket badly, and just after the second half started, Orbelin Pineda scored a fantastic goal to put Cruz Azul ahead again, leaving LA Galaxy at a loss and unable to find their way back into the game.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Jona dos Santos and newbie Cristian Pavon weren't part of the team and watched on as Cruz Azul took the victory and progressed onto the Leagues Cup Final.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Bayern Munich: Alaba suffers thigh tear and will miss Red Star
- Serie A Inter Milan: Conte bemoans profligacy after 1-0 win
- BARCELONA Paco Alcácer: "I was treated very badly by some people at Barcelona"
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid have the budget to sign a galáctico next summer
- RELAÑO Benzema, James, Hazard... and VAR
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: Zidane brushes off Bale's "scapegoat" claim