Cristiano Ronaldo believes he could have been worth €300m
The Juventus forward "does not agree" with the money being spent on young players in the modern game. "Nowadays any player is worth €100m, even without proof," he said.
Cristiano Ronaldo believes a 25-year-old version of himself would be worth up to €300m in today's transfer market.
Juve's big-money signing
Juventus splashed out €112m including add-ons when they signed the Portugal captain from Real Madrid in 2018.
Only five players – Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Joao Felix, Antoine Griezmann and Philippe Coutinho – have commanded larger fees.
Two members of the quintet made their mega-money moves as teenagers and Ronaldo, now 34, has reservations about the increasing prices for youngsters who are yet to prove themselves at the top level.
"Today there is a lot of focus on potential and the football industry is different," the superstar forward told Portuguese broadcaster TVI.
"I'll put the case of Joao Félix aside. Nowadays any player is worth €100m, even without proof. There is more money in football.
"Central defenders and goalkeepers are worth €70million, €80million.
"I do not agree with it, but this is the world we live in. The market is like that, we have to respect it."
Ronaldo formerly held the all-time transfer fee record after Madrid forked out €94m to prise him away from Manchester United in 2009.
Asked how much he would be worth aged 25 in modern terms, the five-time Ballon d'Or winner replied: "It is hard to calculate.
"If a goalkeeper is worth €75m, a player who has done what I had must be worth three to four times more. Easy.
"But I have no such illusion."
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Iván Zamorano: “Raúl Jiménez is as good or even better than Karim Benzema”
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: US citizens buying more guns amid pandemic
- Coronavirus USA Coronavirus: how will stimulus checks work in the United States?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: Bill Gates told Rafa Nadal Covid-19 pandemic would become "complicated"
- CORONAVIRUS | INDIA How to apply for Delhi curfew passes online?
- REAL MADRID Racing president: "Lautaro turned down Madrid when he was 18"