Barcelona: Valverde calls up 16-year-old La Masia starlet
Ansu Fati, one of the biggest prospects in Barcelona's youth team set-up, was invited to train with the first team following Valverde's growing injury-list.
The big surprise in the Barcelona camp on Wednesday was the call up of 16-year-old Ansu Fati to train with the first team, with one of La Masia's up-and-coming prospects being granted an opportunity by Valverde due to Barça's current injury crisis.
One of Barcelona's up-and-coming stars
Ansu Fati, who was born in Guinera-Bissau and holds a Spanish passport, was one of the stars of last season's Youth League. The youngster is quick, direct, and can play with both feet. His judgement and decision-making has also impressed, along with his desire and hunger and his personality on the pitch.
Ansu Fati and La Masia
Ansu Fati is still part of Barcelona's Juvenil A team, coached by former Barça keeper Víctor Valdés, and has also trained with the Barcelona B team, overseen by García Pimienta. His development is being closely monitored by the club and he recently signed a contract taking him up to 2022. The youngster's inclusion in Wednesday's session is unlikely to bear any relation to Barcelona's game on Sunday against Betis, but Valverde is keen to watch him play to assess how he fares with the first team.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu