Bale staying and playing after 'strange situation' pleases Giggs
Gareth Bale would still have been picked for Wales had he gone to China, though the move would not have been ideal.
Ryan Giggs is pleased Gareth Bale's Real Madrid future has for now been resolved but he still would have picked the forward for Wales had he moved to China.
Bale: Better in Madrid than China
Bale appeared to be on the brink of a switch to Chinese Super League club Jiangsu Suning amid an apparent breakdown in relations with Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane.
However, that prospective transfer fell through and Zidane has since indicated Bale will be staying at Madrid beyond the end of the transfer window.
Speaking after naming his squad for the Euro 2020 qualifier with Azerbaijan next month, Wales manager Giggs said: "I kept in touch with him [Bale] to see if he was all right.
"It was a strange situation but hopefully now it's sorted out - Gareth stays and plays games.
"It's obviously positive at the moment, I'm really pleased with the situation and looking forward to meeting up."
Asked what impact a move to China would have had on Bale's international career, Giggs replied: "It wouldn't have been ideal.
"It's a preference for your players to be in Europe with the travelling and the different calendars, but I'd still have picked him."
Former Manchester United star Giggs believes the Red Devils' Welsh winger Daniel James requires more protection from referees.
James was booked for simulation in United's 1-1 draw with Wolves, in which he was persistently fouled.
"You've seen he gets kicked a lot," Giggs added of James.
"Sometimes when you anticipate it, it can look live a dive. The speed he's going at it can look worse, but I'm not worried about that.
"He gets a lot of stick and referees need to protect him."
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week