Jorge Meré explains why he turned Atlético de Madrid down
A European champion at Under-21 level with Spain, Cologne's Jorge Meré told 'Bild': "My mission here in Germany isn't over". He will remain in the Bundesliga.
Atlético de Madrid and Ajax were just two of the clubs interested in signing Jorge Meré this summer but in the end, the player has decided to stay in Germany. Meré, a European champion at Under-21 level with Spain and centre-back with newly-promoted Cologne, is one of 10 Spanish players in the Bundesliga. The former Sporting de Gijón defender signed for the German side two seasons ago and stayed with them even when the team was relegated last season. It seems he made the right choice - Cologne were crowned 2. Bundesliga champions in May, and a few weeks later, Meré was part of the Spanish Under-21 who were procalimed champions of Europe after beating Germany in Udine, Italy.
Cologne need to consolidate their place in the Bundesliga
Meré says he is looking forward to an exciting season in the Bundesliga and isn't ready for a new new experience just yet. "I know that a few clubs have stated an interest in me - obviously that's nice and makes me feel very happy. It shows that I must have been performing to a high level and that I'm on the right path," the 22-year-old told Bild. "But my mission here hasn't finished yet. After a season in the second division, it's important for me to stay with Cologne in the Bundesliga, to be able to show my virtues and help the team to settle into the top flight".
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Odegaard future comes down to Zidane plans
- Premier League Premier League: how many and which matches can be watched on the BBC?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League may introduce artificial crowd noise
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check US: EIP Cards being mistaken for scam, junk mail
- United States Trump on Minneapolis unrest: "when the looting starts the shooting starts"
- GEORGE FLOYD DEATH George Floyd Memorial Fund: how much has GoFundMe page raised?