Jorge Meré explains why he turned Atlético de Madrid down
A European champion at Under-21 level with Spain, Cologne's Jorge Meré told 'Bild': "My mission here in Germany isn't over". He will remain in the Bundesliga.
Atlético de Madrid and Ajax were just two of the clubs interested in signing Jorge Meré this summer but in the end, the player has decided to stay in Germany. Meré, a European champion at Under-21 level with Spain and centre-back with newly-promoted Cologne, is one of 10 Spanish players in the Bundesliga. The former Sporting de Gijón defender signed for the German side two seasons ago and stayed with them even when the team was relegated last season. It seems he made the right choice - Cologne were crowned 2. Bundesliga champions in May, and a few weeks later, Meré was part of the Spanish Under-21 who were procalimed champions of Europe after beating Germany in Udine, Italy.
Cologne need to consolidate their place in the Bundesliga
Meré says he is looking forward to an exciting season in the Bundesliga and isn't ready for a new new experience just yet. "I know that a few clubs have stated an interest in me - obviously that's nice and makes me feel very happy. It shows that I must have been performing to a high level and that I'm on the right path," the 22-year-old told Bild. "But my mission here hasn't finished yet. After a season in the second division, it's important for me to stay with Cologne in the Bundesliga, to be able to show my virtues and help the team to settle into the top flight".
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG - REAL MADRID Official: PSG's Cavani and Mbappé to miss Real Madrid game
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool are the team to beat in Europe, says Napoli coach Ancelotti
- BAYERN MUNICH Coutinho: "Bayern is more of a close-knit family than my previous clubs"
- FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP Liverpool could face Mexico's Monterrey in Club World Cup semi-final
- REAL MADRID Ødegaard: "I felt it wouldn't be good for me to go back to Real Madrid"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Messi challenge is what Dortmund want – Reus