Margarita Plavunova: Russian champion hurdler found dead
The 25-year-old was a national champion and was in training with the Tokyo Olympics in mind when she died during a run in Tambov.
Olympic hopeful Margarita Plavunova was found dead by the side of a road in the Morshansky disctrict of Tambov on Thursday, according to Russian news agency TASS.
Plavunova’s death was later confirmed by the Russian Athletics Federation and the cause was given as a cardiac arrest during a training run. Her coach, Elena Menilkova, said that the 25-year-old had been feeling unwell for a few days.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
Plavunova was a national champion and competed in the 60m and 100m hurdles. She last competed on 22 June at a regional tournament in Zhukovskiy and had a personal best in the 100m hurdles of 14.06s, recorded a year earlier.
She had been hoping to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and her heavy training regime may have contributed to her cardiac failure.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Kane: Probably toughest time since I've been at Tottenham
- Premier League Liverpool praise Man United for swift action on racist abuse
- PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN Mbappé, Cavani unable to play 90 minutes yet, says PSG boss Tuchel
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID Clásico decision pushed back to Barcelona and Real Madrid
- ATLÉTICO DE MADRID Atlético de Madrid tracking Porto's youth pearl Fabio Silva
- GALATASARAY-REAL MADRID Zidane: "The rumours bother me; I want to be here forever"