Falcao close to Valencia move after ending Galatasaray talks
The Colombia forward is looking to leave Monaco and was courted by the Turkish giants but now Mestalla has emerged as a possibility with Rodrigo's future unclear.
Valencia are attempting to cover their bases in the event that Spain striker Rodrigo leaves before the end of the transfer window and have turned their attention to Monaco forward Radamel Falcao.
The Colombia international had been heavily linked with a move to Galatasaray but talks between the player and the Turkish giants have collapsed, leaving the 33-year-old playing catch-up after making it abundantly clear he has no intention of staying at Monaco for another season.
Valencia have been linked with Falcao before, his agent Jorge Mendes enjoying cordial relations with Mestalla owner Peter Lim, and there is concern as Los Che head into a Champions League season that the loss of Rodrigo at the 11th hour could seriously jeopardise the club’s objectives for the season. It seemed last week that the striker had agreed a 60m deal to join Atlético, although that eventually fell through, and it was also reported that an unnamed Premier League club had made a similar bid for the 28-year-old who managed 15 goals in 51 appearances across all competitions last season.
Valencia keen for cover in case Rodrigo leaves
Falcao scored the same number for Monaco in Ligue 1 last season and has abundant experience at national and European level, perhaps enjoying his most prolific spell at Atlético across two campaigns, when he scored 70 times in 91 games. He was also lethal at Porto (72 in 87) and has carried that form into his Monaco career (83 in 139) with only two disastrous loan spells at Manchester United and Chelsea blotting his dance card.
However, Valencia chief executive Mateu Alemany has made it clear that any new signings will have to be approved by Mestalla boss Marcelino, whatever the desires of the board. But with Rodrigo’s immediate future unclear, Falcao is waiting in the wings for a return to LaLiga.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- Unemployment Benefits Why are recipients seeing unemployment benefits cut?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how many people are still waiting for it?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin trial: can he appeal the sentence?
- SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: interview Florentino Pérez, ten clubs withdraw, reactions, UEFA, clubs
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: Manchester Utd fans break into training ground in anti-Glazer protest