Bayern Munich: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023
The Germany forward, long linked with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and other major European sides, has signed fresh terms with the Bundesliga team.
Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.
Werner, 23, has been strongly linked with a move to Bayern Munich in recent months, as the Bundesliga champions look to refresh their squad with younger talent.
But the Germany international looks set to remain at Leipzig for the time being, with the contract extension putting the club in a much stronger negotiating position for any future transfer.
Managing director Oliver Mintzlaff said: "We are glad that the negotiations with Timo Werner have now come to a positive conclusion and he has decided to extend the contract with us.
"We have had many intensive discussions over a long period of time and have been very attentive to and valued by Timo.
"We are glad that we now have clarity and are pleased that Timo remains an important part of our team."
With Bayern reportedly unwilling to meet Leipzig's valuation of €40million, it was claimed the Bavarians planned to wait until his contract expired and lure him away on a free transfer.
The extension ends that plan, although media reports suggest Werner's new deal does include a release clause of €30m, bringing his price down significantly.
Either way, Werner insists he is excited to continue developing with Leipzig.
"I'm glad that I signed with RB Leipzig and thus extended my contract," he said. "Of course, this process has been going on for a very long time, but I really wanted to be completely sure that I could take the next steps in the development of this club.
"And for the right decisions you just need a little longer. Now I can fully concentrate on playing as successful a season as possible with our team."
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Biden - Trump last debate live online: updates, fact check and reactions
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Covid-19 Financial Crisis How will the election affect unemployment benefits in US?
- US NEWS Who is Kristen Walker, moderator for the final presidential debate? | US Election 2020
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Trump - Biden debate: why will they be muted when the other is talking?
- PRESEDENTIAL DEBATE Last debate Trump vs Biden tonight: time, TV and how to watch live online