De Ligt: "I didn't expect them to leave me on the bench"
The central defender was not expecting to be left on the bench for the start of the Serie A season, it was the first time since 2017 that such a thing has happened.
Mattijhs de Ligt won't be gifted anything in Turín. The Dutch defender was surprised to have been left on the bench against Parma in the first game of the season, which is the first time that has happened to the young star since 2017.
"Naturally, I would have preferred to play. I was given no clues in training and so I was surprised they left me on the bench," he said after the game in which they won 0-1 through a Giorgio Chiellini goal.
De Ligt respects Sarri's decision
The captain, Chiellini, partnered Bonucci, at the heart of Juve's defense, leaving De Ligt out in the cold. "I respect his decisions," De Ligt continued in Dutch outlet AD. "The defenders he picked have been considered the best in the world for a long time. I have to find my place in the team during the season."
The 20-year-old says the difference between Ten Hag and Sarri's setups are not too different and says he is adapting well. "Defensively, the demands are not too different than those in Ajax. The manager asks up to anticipate movement," he said.
De Ligt was the biggest signing of the summer in Turín at €85.5 million with other clubs such as PSG also heavily linked. He was the leader and the captain of Ajax and has work ahead of him to become the leader of Juve.
Te recomendamos en English
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The new Super League is born: all the details of the announcement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: 20 teams, two leagues of 10, knockout stages – the controversial competition's format
- FOOTBALL European Super League, live updates: reaction, participating clubs, UEFA statement... | Latest news
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Jose Mourinho sacked by Tottenham Hotspur
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS How to get Covid-19 a vaccine appointment in Florida?