Bayern Munich: Schalke fan takes VAR to court after defeat
As was inevitable at some point, a disgruntled fan has taken VAR to the local police, who gamely played along but are unlikely to make any arrests.
Bayern Munich’s 3-0 victory over Schalke last weekend was not without incident, the reigning Bundesliga champions escaping two potential penalties during the game.
The first, with France international Benjamin Pavard’s back to the ball, was certainly debatable but the second, when Ivan Perisic appeared to handle a direct free kick by Schalke, looked to be a certain spot kick but there was no VAR review and the Croatia winger went unpunished.
While the controversy inevitably died down as the working week began, one Schalke fan decided that the perceived injustice was worthy of further investigation and duly set the Gelsenkirchen police department in motion to look into the matter.
"We'll get right on that, sir..."
Das Spiel #S04FCB beschäftigt Schalke-Fans und nun auch die Polizei: Ein #Schalke-Anhänger hat Anzeige gegen den Schiedsrichter und den Videoassistenten wegen Betrugs erstattet. Grund: Zwei nicht gegebene Elfmeter im Spiel gegen #FCBayern. Die #Polizei prüft nun den Sachverhalt. pic.twitter.com/Jgni3jHXdv— Polizei NRW GE (@polizei_nrw_ge) August 27, 2019
As confirmed on the official site of the Polizei Gelsenkirchen, the Schalke supporter has lodged two official complaints alleging fraud, one against the match official and another against the VAR system.
While the local police gamely suggested they would open an investigation, it seems likely that the whole affair will blow over before the Miners are back in action at home on Saturday against Hertha Berlin.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus payment debit card: Do I have to activate the EIP card before I can use it?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Donald Trump is caught playing golf Amid Covid-19 outbreak
- LALIGA Tebas: "We hope Liga will return on 11 June with Sevilla-Betis"
- FOOTBALL Van Persie reveals Van Gaal gave him a slap at 2014 World Cup