Atlanta United close to third title in eight months
The Five Stripes face Minnesota United in the US Open Cup final, where a win will mean they record their third title in the club's history in less than a year.
Atlanta United started its MLS journey in 2017. Since then they have had a solid performance throughout the league, doing enough to even make it into playoffs in its first season, though they were were eliminated by Columbus Crew.
In 2018, its second MLS season, the Five Stripes' performance improvement was visible under the orders of Argentine strategist, Gerardo 'Tata' Martino. And with Josef Martinez and Miguel Almirón as the team's stars they gave the Georgia fans their first title in the second year since making their debut.
In 2019, with Frank de Boer now in charge, Josef Martínez and company made history by winning the Campeones Cup title against Liga MX side, Club America, to land the franchise's second title.
US Open Cup
This Tuesday, August 27, Atlanta United will be aiming to give their fans yet another trophy, the third in just eight months when they face Minnesota United in the US Open Cup, a title which would set them up as real contenders for the 2019 MLS championship.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- USA News US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies aged 87
- AMAZON PRIME VIDEO The Boys Season 2: how many episodes, dates of release and when is the last one?
- Arteta: Aubameyang stayed because Arsenal is an 'incredible club' as big as Barcelona & Inter
- Liverpool Thiago: “When you win, you want to win more”
- Coronavirus Flu shot: who should get it and when?