Smalling completes medical ahead of Roma loan
Chris Smalling's loan move from Manchester United to Roma is edging closer after the defender completed his medical with the Serie A club.
Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has completed a medical ahead of his proposed loan move to Roma.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed a deal was close on Friday, with Smalling having travelled to Italy to finalise a transfer to the Stadio Olimpico.
Smalling made 24 Premier League appearances last season, though with Harry Maguire's arrival for a record fee, the 29-year-old has been allowed to leave, having not made an appearance so far this campaign.
The move now looks to be nearing completion, with Roma posting pictures of Smalling undergoing his medical on their official Twitter account.
Smalling's departure comes after Alexis Sanchez joined Roma's Serie A rivals Inter on loan, while Matteo Darmian is also set to sign for Parma, though the former Fulham centre-back could still have a future at Old Trafford, according to Solskjaer.
"There haven't been a lot of English players in Italy. I think he'll enjoy the experience and I'm sure he'll come back stronger and better for it," Solskjaer told a news conference earlier on Friday.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Kane: Probably toughest time since I've been at Tottenham
- Premier League Liverpool praise Man United for swift action on racist abuse
- PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN Mbappé, Cavani unable to play 90 minutes yet, says PSG boss Tuchel
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID Clásico decision pushed back to Barcelona and Real Madrid
- ATLÉTICO DE MADRID Atlético de Madrid tracking Porto's youth pearl Fabio Silva
- GALATASARAY-REAL MADRID Zidane: "The rumours bother me; I want to be here forever"