Guardiola says Laporte is the best in Europe
Virgil van Dijk won the UEFA Men's Player of the Year but Pep Guardiola thinks Aymeric Laporte deserves a high degree of appreciation.
Pep Guardiola expressed gratitude to Didier Deschamps for picking the "best left-sided central defender in Europe" after Aymeric Laporte finally received a France call-up.
Les Bleus boss Deschamps ended the uncapped Manchester City defender's lengthy exile by naming him in the squad to face Albania and Andorra in Euro 2020 qualifying.
The uncapped 25-year-old has had to be extremely patient for international opportunities despite his consistently excellent displays at the heart of City's defence.
Laporte's performances have forced Guardiola to revise his opinion of the former Athletic Bilbao player, a day after Liverpool counterpart Virgil van Dijk was crowned UEFA Men's Player of the Year.
"It was a mistake when I said he is one of the best – for me he is the best left-sided central defender in Europe," Guardiola said of Laporte, who last won a France call-up in 2017.
"I'm incredibly grateful to Didier Deschamps and so happy for [Laporte] because he deserves it.
"All of us were so happy for him because he was looking for this call for a long time and hopefully he can stay. Now it depends on him."
PEP Behalf of City family, my family and myself, I send my deepest, deepest condolences to Luis Enrique and to his family for their loss.— Manchester City (@ManCity) August 30, 2019
Hopefully he can feel from myself and Manchester that we are here.
Hopefully I can see him soon and tell him that I love him.
Walker left out of Southgate's squad
Kyle Walker was less fortunate on the international front, the England regular squeezed out of Gareth Southgate's latest squad due to a surplus of right-backs.
Guardiola admitted "a little bit" of surprise over the decision but backed the 29-year-old to regain his place.
"Of course, Kyle and myself are not involved. We respect the decision and I think Kyle will come back strong," he said.
"It's [Southgate's] decision, of course I understand him and support the manager of the national team."
Walker's good form at club level has earned him three Premier League starts and restricted new signing Joao Cancelo to a brief cameo in the win over Bournemouth.
"With Joao, we are delighted with what we have seen," the City boss said.
"But he arrived late so was not in pre-season. There are many things Kyle knows completely well.
"Joao is starting to understand what to do and maybe [against Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday] or maybe after the international break he will start to play."
Guardiola confirmed injured pair John Stones and Gabriel Jesus are "much better" but doubted whether they would be available for the match at the Etihad Stadium.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHELSEA-REAL MADRID Chelsea - Real Madrid: possible starting line-ups for the Champions League
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE What are Christian Pulisic's Champions League stats and records?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Chelsea 2-0 Real Madrid (3-1 agg): result, goals, summary: Champions League 2020/21
- BOXING What is Floyd Mayweather’s net worth?
- 2021 TAX FILING Biden tax plan calculator: how could your taxes and credits change?
- CORONAVIRUS US Pfizer/BioNtech covid-19 vaccine for kids: ages, who can get and when?
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE How many Champions League finals have Chelsea played in?
- BOXING What is Logan Paul's net worth?
- NFL Brett Farve thinks Rodgers time in Green Bay may be coming to an end
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Will the fourth stimulus check be approved? Can it still happen in May?
- Cornoavirus When will kids under 12 be able to receive a covid-19 vaccine?