Atlético: Simeone refuses to discuss Inter Milan outcast Mauro Icardi
With the transfer window set to close on Monday night, Atlético de Madrid coach Diego Simeone was asked about Inter Milan's Mauro Icardi.
Atlético de Madrid coach Diego Simeone refused to discuss rumours linking the club to former Inter Milan captain Mauro Icardi. Icardi has been linked with a move away from San Siro throughout the transfer window and Atlético have reportedly emerged as an option.
According to reports, Atlético are negotiating a loan deal to sign the Argentina forward – who has been frozen out at Antonio Conte's Inter. With the window set to close on Monday night, Simeone was asked about his countryman but he told reporters: "I always say the same. I can't really speak about players that are not here. Obviously I only speak about players that we have."
Atleti keen to sign another forward
As for the transfer window, Simeone added: "We still waiting for it to close to know definitively and exactly what players will be with us until December, because in December there is new option. But it's clear, I don't want to keep repeating it would prefer it to be like it is in England where it's solved before we start LaLiga. So we can start with the whole squad we have for the season."
Simeone attended the media on the eve of Atlético's clash with Eibar at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday. Atleti will be boosted by the return of star striker Diego Costa, who missed the team's opening two wins of the season due to injury. "I have always declared the effect he has, Diego. I always said it and feel it," Simeone said. "He is a very important player for the team and for this club. I hope that this season he shows this group just how competitive he is and how strong he is as a striker. He has had a great pre-season and tomorrow he will kick off his league and for sure he will start that with a lot of ambition."
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu