Coates concedes three penalties and sent off in Sporting loss
In what must be a record performance from the Uruguay defender, he managed to give away three spot kicks and got his marching orders in a single game.
Uruguay international and former Liverpool defender Sebastián Coates conceded three penalties and was sent off as Sporting crashed to their first league defeat of the campaign.
Filipe Augusto converted a sixth-minute penalty following Coates' foul before Sporting hit back through Bruno Fernandes and Luiz Phellype, who put the hosts ahead eight minutes into the second half.
However, Coates gave away two penalties during the final four minutes and was subsequently sent off for a second yellow card as Rio Ave emerged triumphant.
"I have no opinion, the referee decided and I can do nothing," Sporting coach Marcel Keizer said when asked about the three penalties. "I only have an opinion about my team. We didn't play enough. If we had had more ball after 2-1 it could have been different."
Keizer was also asked about whether the prolific Fernandes will remain with the club with the transfer window due to close on Monday.
Fernandes has been linked with a move away throughout the window and the Portugal international revealed he agreed to join Tottenham only for Sporting to block the transfer.
The 24-year-old was also strongly linked to Manchester United, while he has since emerged as a reported target for Real Madrid prior to Monday's deadline. "We have to wait until Monday. Hopefully he will stay. Many things can happen. We are not in a position to be able to decide."
Fernandes – who netted 20 goals and supplied 13 assists in the Primeira Liga last season – scored in the 3-2 defeat to Rio Ave in Lisbon.
Te recomendamos en English
- GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS George Floyd protests live updates | Minneapolis, US riots, reactions, Trump, Anonymous...
- George Floyd George Floyd protests: FIFA asks for common sense approach
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: what color is the envelope carrying IRS payment?
- GEORGE FLOYD KILLING George Floyd: Mayweather to pay for funeral services
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: when is the HEROES Act being voted on?
- Premier League DeAndre Yedlin shares personal story following Floyd's death