Gareth Bale sees red after brace saves Real Madrid from defeat
The Welshman is trying to reassert himself with Zinedine Zidane, and his two goals at La Cerámica were a good start in matchday three. But it wasn't all good.
Real Madrid's game against Villarreal was never expected to be easy and so it proved, with the capital side twice having to come back from behind to escape La Cerámica with a draw. And it was Gareth Bale who will make the headlines after scoring twice and receiving a red card.
Bale: two goals, two yellows
The Yellow Submarine were holding on at times during the game as Madrid had spells of dominance but were worthy of a point. Ahead twice thanks to goals from Gerard Moreno (11) and Moi Gómez (73) they were pegged back with two from the Welshman who is trying to remake a name for himself at the Bernabéu club.
The first, on the stroke of half-time, was a beautifully crafted team effort, Bale being the man in the right position to tap home. His second, a great individual goal, picking out the near post to surprise Andrés in goal.
Although his goals weren't enough to get his team heading away for the international break on a satisfactory seven points from nine, Bale at least was leaving the pitch with his head held high. That was until a second bad challenge saw him booked again, and he was off for an early bath, just seconds before the final whistle blew.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Isco in the midst of another baffling season at Real Madrid
- CHELSEA Lampard looking at the bigger picture with Pulisic
- Serie A Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'
- BARCELONA Vidal on tattoos, his mo-hawk and some advice for Dembélé
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Rodrygo, Vinicius wanted by Brazil in January
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood signs new Man United contract