Real Madrid register Areola for LaLiga
Real Madrid have registered the PSG goalkeeper, who arrives on loan as a replacement for Keylor Navas after he moved the other direction.
Keylor Navas has ended his five-year spell at Real Madrid with a move to PSG as Alphonse Areola replaces the Costa Rican. Real Madrid have registered the French international after Navas travelled to Paris to sign his contract with the Ligue 1 side.
Areola did not play with the Paris club on Friday as he underwent a medical at Real Madrid's training ground, Valdebebas, over the weekend. The deal was just being held up by Real Madrid's game against Villarreal with Navas backing up Courtois in goals.
Real Madrid have loaned Areola after he spent three years at PSG where he returned after a season on loan at Villarreal. He played 32 games in LaLiga during that spell and 37 times in total with 17 clean sheets. The 26-year-old is six years Navas' junior and won the World Cup with France in 2018.
For his part, Navas ends an era at the club which lasted five years. Having arrived from Levante in 2014 after a wonderful World Cup with Costa Rica, he leaves after 162 games with Real Madrid and with three Champions League medals, one LaLiga, four Club World Cups, three Spanish Super Cups and one Spanish Super Cup.
Keylor played his last game for Madrid against Betis in LaLiga last season. He seemed then to take the chance to say goodbye to the fans and they responded with an ovation for the goalie. Anriy Lunin and Luca Zidane left the club during the summer in search of greater opportunities and when it seemed the market had dried up for Navas.
In the last number of weeks, however, speculation grew that the goalkeeper would be on the move as PSG engaged in talks.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Latest News What's happening between Fortnite, Apple and Google? Can I keep playing on my phone?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: will I get another payment before 2021?
- BARCELONA 2-BAYERN 8 Bartomeu: We'll make decisions in the next few days; many had already been made
- Champions League "Shame": Pique says "I will be first to step aside" after humiliating Barcelona defeat
- MLS MLS commissioner supports players kneeling during the national anthem