Christian Eriksen: "I wish I could decide my career like in Football Manager"
Tottenham's Christian Eriksen could not engineer a move away from the club in the transfer window, much to his frustration.
Christian Eriksen wishes he had control over his career "like in Football Manager" after failing to secure a transfer away from Tottenham. The playmaker said after the Champions League final in June that he was interested in pursuing a new challenge, having been at Spurs since 2013.
The 27-year-old was linked with Real Madrid, Juventus and Manchester United but, following the closure of the European transfer window on Monday, he is set to stay put until at least January. In an interview with Ekstra Bladet published before the transfer deadline, Eriksen admitted he had more control over his future. "I wish I could just decide, like in Football Manager, but unfortunately I can't," he said. When asked if he would be able to talk in more depth about his future after the transfer deadline, he replied: "Maybe I can."
Transfer rumour mill
Pressed on whether it was a mistake to speak publicly about wanting a new challenge, he said: "No, it wasn't. But that's football, and you never know what will happen in football. A lot of things come into play. For me, it's not hard to clear my head. I don't read much of what is written. There have been lots of rumours every year. A lot of different things were written, like that I went to Madrid to look for a house, but it doesn't disrupt my life at all. I understand well [that there is interest in my future]. I know a lot of people are interested in where I play. That's the way it is."
Banter at Spurs
Eriksen added that he jokes with Tottenham team-mates whenever transfer rumours begin to spread. "We tease each other," he said. "This is how it is at a top club, if you have done well. There will always be rumours."
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?