Referee Aytekin apologises to Ramos for glasses celebration yellow card
The Real Madrid defender made the glasses sign as a tribute to his nephew, however the ref in charge of the Romania - Spain game booked him.
Sergio Ramos was booked after scoring the opening goal in Spain's 2-1 win over Romania in Thursday evening's Euro 2020 qualifier, converting a penalty. The Real Madrid player went into the book when the referee, Deniz Aytekin, decided his 'glasses celebration' was an attempt to provoke the public.
Ramos, hoever, explained that the celebration was in no way meant to annoy the home fans. "At the break I explained to [referee] Aytekin that I did the glasses sign for my nephew - he needs to wear them just like I do. I did it to cheer him up, to dedicate the goal to him. But the referee didn't see it like that and booked me", said the Spanish defender. Having heard Ramos' explanation, Aytekin apologised for showing him a yellow card.
Spanish players less than happy with Aytekin
Spain were particularly upset with Aytekin when he sent off Diego Llorente for a foul to prevent a clear goal scoring chance in the 80th minute, despite the player getting a touch on on the ball. That was Spain's first sending off in six years, the last being Piqué, back in 2013.
Te recomendamos en English
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The new Super League is born: all the details of the announcement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: 20 teams, two leagues of 10, knockout stages – the controversial competition's format
- FOOTBALL European Super League, live updates: reaction, participating clubs, UEFA statement... | Latest news
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Jose Mourinho sacked by Tottenham Hotspur
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS How to get Covid-19 a vaccine appointment in Florida?