Semenya: Olympic champion joins South African club JVW
The two-time Olympic gold medallist has agreed a deal to join South African football club JVW and could make her debut in 2020.
Olympic champion Caster Semenya is set to play football in 2020 after joining South African club JVW.
A two-time Olympic gold medallist in the 800 metres, Semenya could make her football debut next year.
JVW, who are owned by South Africa women's captain Janine van Wyk, announced the signing of Semenya on Thursday.
"I am grateful for this opportunity and I appreciate the love and support I already get from the team," Semenya said in a statement.
"I am looking forward to this new journey, and hopefully I can contribute as much as I can to the club."
Semenya will train with JVW but cannot make her debut in the SAFA Sasol Women's League until 2020 due to the transfer window being closed.
Van Wyk, who recently left JVW for Danish club Fortuna Hjorring, welcomed the signing of 2012 and 2016 Olympic champion Semenya.
"I am extremely elated to have such an iconic athlete join my football club," she said.
"I am absolutely honoured that out of all the other women's clubs around the world, she has chosen JVW as the club where she would like to start showcasing her football skills.
"I welcomed her at her first training with the team on Tuesday, and was impressed to see that she definitely has all the fundamentals.
"I look forward to her working with coach Ciara [Picco] and our first team where I am sure she will sharpen up and get ready to play in 2020.
"Although I won't be here for the rest of the year, as I have just signed with Fortuna Hjorring, I have no doubt that Caster will fit right in, and enjoy her time at the club."
Te recomendamos en English
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Beckham's Inter Miami make late bid for Edinson Cavani
- Football Kompany believes diversity in football needs to start at the top
- 2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament Reinier stars in Brazil win as Tokyo 2020 qualification looms closer
- REAL ZARAGOZA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Another chance for Vinicius to impress
- Rumour Has It: Barcelona give up on Rodrigo, Fernandes to Man Utd finally done
- Copa del Reu Iñaki Williams thanks Tenerife fans for 'No to Racism' display