Neymar PSG shirt sales plummet after failed summer transfer
The transfer soap opera that we watched over the summer has been a major factor in the Brazilian's record-breaking merchandising drop.
In just a year and a half, Neymar Jr has gone from the player who has sold the most shirts at Paris Saint-Germain to almost being ostracised. Sources close to the club have confirmed that this has been, by far, the worst summer of shirt sales with the number 10's name on it. Few are surprised, given that many believed the Brazilian would be on his way out of the club, something he himself had requested.
Neymar PSG shirt sales plummet
Since arriving at the Parisien giants in 2017, Neymar has broken all previous sales records in the French capital. In just six hours, one day after signing for PSG, more than 86,000 shirts were sold. The man who arrived from Barça for a world-record fee, far exceeded the purchases induced by the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Beckham and he accounted for more than 40% of the club's shirt sales in a season and a half. Add in Kylian Mbappé's influence, and the two main stars were responsible for more than 80% of all PSG shirt sales over the last two seasons.
However, after this summer's will-he-won't-he-leave soap opera, Neymar is no longer the most acclaimed player in Paris. French youngster Mbappé is now the one who stands out as the most wanted name. However, now that the situation has been resolved, at least for the time being, if the Brazilian can get his act together for the team, don't be surprised to see Neymar shirt sales soar as fans look to forgive and forget...especially if they believe he'll retire there.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA Stimulus check: CARES, HEALS and HEROES Acts compared
- CORONAVIRUS USA Second stimulus check: when will the money arrive?
- Beirut explosion Beirut explosion: latest news live from Lebanon
- Beirut Explosion Seven-year-old ammonium nitrate shipment possibly caused Beirut explosion
- PREMIER LEAGUE Arsenal make 55 redundancies as huge player investment targeted
- FC Barcelona "Messi says he wants to finish career at Barcelona" - Bartomeu