Barcelona players didn't oppose Griezmann signing – Bartomeu
Josep Maria Bartomeu denied reports the Barcelona dressing room advised the club to abandon the chase for the Frenchman.
Barcelona players have no input into transfers and were not against the signing of Antoine Griezmann, according to club president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
Opposition to Griezmann's signing
Reports in Spain claimed Ernesto Valverde's squad opposed the pursuit of France international Griezmann, who moved to Camp Nou from Atletico Madrid for €120million in July.
The LaLiga champions almost secured his signature 12 months earlier, but the forward ultimately chose to spend a fifth season at Atlético.
That decision was said to have upset Barça's senior players, including Lionel Messi, who reportedly favoured the return of former team-mate Neymar.
"The dressing room did not reject us signing Griezmann," Bartomeu told Barça TV.
"The players don't give their opinions on signings, it is the technical team who decide."
Neymar and other targets
Barça ramped up their interest in Neymar after capturing Griezmann but were unable to come to terms with Paris Saint-Germain before the transfer window closed on September 2.
Another target, Matthijs de Ligt, opted to join Juventus, yet Bartomeu insists head coach Valverde has the tools at his disposal to forge a highly successful campaign.
"This squad is more competitive than last season's," he said.
"It's a small squad, but very competitive. Ernesto Valverde accepts the level of demand and I am expecting a lot from this season.
"De Ligt was one of our targets, but he decided not to come to Barca."
Te recomendamos en English
- Covid-19 Coronavirus lock down in USA: which states and what measures have been applied?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid in talks with players over salary cuts
- Coronavirus Gerardo Martino “We are lucky to have high salaries so we must be supportive”
- FIFA Blatter denies bribery allegations in awarding of 2018 and 2022 World Cups
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Barcelona planning raid on Bernabéu for Gelabert
- Barcelona Messi's Barcelona exit would not be 'a drama' for LaLiga, says Tebas