Sergio Ramos equals Casillas with 167 Spain caps
The Real Madrid defender becomes Spain's equal most-capped player, alongside his former team-mate, when he starts against the Faroe Islands.
Spain and Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos equalled Iker Casillas' record of 167 caps for Spain when he started this evening in Gijón against the Faroe Islands.
Ramos took his place in the starting line-up: De Gea; Carvajal, Ramos, Hermoso, Gayà; Parejo, Rodri, Thiago; Oyarzabal, Rodrigo and Suso.
Spain players celebrating with Sergio Ramos
The landmark has already been celebrated by the Spain players, including Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, who is currently the second most capped player in the Spain set up. "What Sergio Ramos has done is incredible. He's one of the best in the world and will continue to be. He's won two European Championships, a World Cup, and for us its honour to have him here as captain", said the Barça captain.
Moreno thanks Sergio Ramos
The Spain coach Robert Moreno also joined in the praise for Ramos: "What he's done is spectacular, and best of all is what he's still got left to give. You have to admire him, as both a player and a person. I have to say how much he's helping me with my job and that I'm grateful for his help."
The players in the Spain Under-21 ranks, such as Ceballos and Sarabia, have admitted that they see Ramos as an example to be followed, while his great friend in the Spain squad, Jesús Navas, also had words of praise for the Madrid player.
A tribute for Ramos' record-equalling 167th cap is planned for just before the match against the Faroe Islands in El Molinón.
Spain's most capped players
1. Casillas 167
2. Sergio Ramos 166
3. Xavi 133
4. Iniesta 131
5. Zubizarreta 126
6. Silva 125
7. Xabi Alonso 114
8. Busquets 113
9. Fabregas 110
- Fernando Torres 110
Te recomendamos en English
- Leeds United Kiko Casilla given 8 match ban for racial abuse of Jonathan Leko
- REAL MADRID-BARCELONA Wuhan Zall invited by LaLiga and Madrid to watch El Clásico
- REAL MADRID-BARCELONA Rivaldo: "I haven't see any improvement at Barça since Setién's arrival"
- El Clásico Zinedine Zidane pre-Clásico press conference: how and where to watch – times, online
- JUVENTUS Cristiano: "I'm convinced Juventus will make the quarter finals"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Tuchel: "Now is the time for PSG to be confident