Robert Moreno dedicates Spain victory to Luis Enrique
Coach Robert Moreno dedicated Spain's 4-0 win over the Faroe Islands to predecessor Luis Enrique, who stepped down for family reasons.
Robert Moreno dedicated Spain's 4-0 win over the Faroe Islands to his predecessor Luis Enrique, who stepped down from the role as head coach before his daughter's death at the end of August.
Perfect record in qualifying
Braces from Rodrigo Moreno and Paco Alcácer ensured Spain retained their 100 per cent record in Euro 2020 qualifying Group F, and helped new coach Moreno to a second win in two games since he took over on a permanent basis. The players of both sides observed a minute's silence before Sunday's game as a mark of respect to Luis Enrique, who was born in Gijón where the match was played.
Moreno told a news conference after the game: "It upsets me to talk about it, but this team is his [Luis Enrique's] more than anyone's. It is a tiny thing, but we wanted to dedicate it, especially here in El Molinon."
Praise for front two
After seeing his players labour at times against a Faroe Islands team that put 10 men behind the ball for much of the game, Moreno praised Spain's goal scorers. "I leave very satisfied," he said. "It is a privilege to have a scorer like Alcácer, who is very good in the area. But Rodrigo has also scored two others, and I am happy because the two have succeeded. Alcácer increases competition, and you have to score a goal every game [to compete with him]."
Ramos hits milestone
Moreno also paid tribute to Sergio Ramos, who equalled Iker Casillas' record of 167 appearances for Spain on the night and said the win, which came after nine changes to the line-up that started in Spain's 2-1 victory over Romania on Thursday, increased competition for places.
"There are several ways to get into the national team," the coach said. "First, do well with your clubs, and then do well and do your best when playing for Spain. It has been a good week, because it increases internal competition. And that is very good for the national team, although it is more difficult for me to choose."
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGA MX Club América retain second place after victory against Tigres UANL
- Real Madrid 2-1 Barcelona Real Madrid: Benzema matches Cristiano Ronaldo scoring run
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA El Clásico: "Mendy fouled Braithwaite, it's a penalty" - Iturralde
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA Piqué confronts Gil Manzano, Modric ticks him off: "You've been waiting just to have a go at the ref"
- BARCELONA Barcelona still optimistic about title hopes despite Real Madrid defeat, says Koeman
- COVID-19 VACCINATION Publix Vaccine: how to sign up and get an appointment