Suárez and Messi still training apart from first team squad
Club representatives hope the attacking duo can join up with the rest of the squad as both players face a race against the clock to be fit for the Valencia match.
Both Luis Suárez and Leo Messi were absentees from today's Barcelona training session as Ernesto Valverde prepares his side for the home game against Valencia on Saturday (September 14 at 2100 CEST).
Both players are carrying out specific fitness plans as they recover from their respective injuries with club officials optimistic both men will be ready for Saturday and then for the Group F opener as Barça kick-start their Champions League campaign against Borussia Dortmund.
Hopes at the Catalan club are that Luis Suarez will join training with the rest of his team mates on Wednesday with the striker having come to the end of the recuperation process after tearing a calf muscle in his right leg. Everything points to the Uruguayan striker being ready for Saturday with it unlikely that the forward will start at Camp Nou.
Leo Messi picked up his calf injury on his first day back with the club after his summer break on August 5th. The Argentine was poised for a return to action coinciding with the visit of Real Betis with a relapse at the eleventh hour forcing the Rosario born player to delay his return. It's mooted that Messi will secure some playing time in the LaLiga clash against Valencia and then start in the away game in Germany in the Champions League on September 17.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG - REAL MADRID Official: PSG's Cavani and Mbappé to miss Real Madrid game
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool are the team to beat in Europe, says Napoli coach Ancelotti
- BAYERN MUNICH Coutinho: "Bayern is more of a close-knit family than my previous clubs"
- FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP Liverpool could face Mexico's Monterrey in Club World Cup semi-final
- REAL MADRID Ødegaard: "I felt it wouldn't be good for me to go back to Real Madrid"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Messi challenge is what Dortmund want – Reus