Griezmann disagrees with FFF president over homophobia
While French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet does not want matches to be stopped for homophobia, the Barça forward sees it as a good idea.
Antoine Griezmann believes it would be a "very good" stance to stop matches in the case of homophobia or racism in the stands, disagreeing with French Football Federation (FFF) president Noel Le Graet.
Homophobia during matches
FFF chief Le Graet this week called for games to continue in spite of homophobic chanting or displays following a worrying number of incidents in French football.
But World Cup winner Griezmann, speaking after France's 3-0 Euro 2020 qualifying win over Andorra, was in support of halting play.
The Barcelona star believes stopping matches would be an effective way to prevent future incidents.
"For me, it's very good to stop the matches, whether for homophobic songs or racist songs," Griezmann told RTL.
"If we stop the matches, people will not be happy and they will stop doing it."
Macrcon calls for responsibility
French president Emmanuel Macron called for the Ligue de Football Professionnel and its clubs to take responsibility and address the issue.
Ligue 1 games in Nice and Metz were paused in the space of a week last month after discriminatory banners were seen in the crowd.
Elsewhere, a second-tier encounter between Nancy and Le Mans in August was stopped by match officials following instructions to intervene in the event of homophobic chanting or displays.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, Amy Barrett, cases, deaths, updates today
- Champions League Borussia Monchengladbach - Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- B. MÖNCHENGLADBACH-REAL MADRID Zidane on Isco's complaints: "He wants to play"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Olympique Marseille vs Manchester City: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- US ELECTION 2020 US elections 2020: can people from Puerto Rico vote?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: will there be a new payment in November?