Typical... injured Kompany to miss his own testimonial
The Vincent Kompany testimonial will go on without the headline act, as the Manchester City great will sit the game out with a hamstring injury.
Vincent Kompany has confirmed that he will not play in his own Manchester City testimonial after suffering a hamstring injury. Former City captain Kompany is returning to the Etihad Stadium for the first time since his departure at the end of last season, yet he will not feature in the match between Manchester City Legends and a Premier League All-Stars XI.
The 33-year-old, who has endured a tough start to life as Anderlecht player-coach, has not featured since hobbling out of a 1-0 defeat to Genk on 23 August.
Some bad news...
Kompany, who repeatedly suffered with injuries at City, last playing more than 30 Premier League games in a season in 2011-12, announced his absence from Wednesday's fixture in good humour. "Unfortunately I won't be starting or playing," the Belgian told a news conference on the day of the match. "It's typical of me, right? I'm usually there for the end of the season... I've got a slight hamstring injury so I couldn't unfortunately risk it tonight. To say goodbyes doesn't necessarily have to be on the pitch, as such, and we're doing it for an unbelievable cause [Tackle4MCR, an initiative Kompany set up to help the homeless]."
KOMPANY 💬 I love Manchester. I met my wife Carla here. My first game I was Man of the Match and from then on I've never been happier.— Manchester City (@ManCity) September 11, 2019
I am not saying farewell. I'm here as an ex-player and a fan. We are supporting a great cause
With David Silva, Kompany's replacement as captain, leaving at the end of the season, he added: "I'll be there for David Silva's testimonial."
Te recomendamos en English
- FINANCIAL FAIR PLAY Man City CAS ruling "a disaster" and the end of FFP - Mourinho
- MLS Chicharito: LA Galaxy striker takes blame for Portland defeat
- LIGA SANTANDER Real Madrid urge fans to stay at home if Zidane's side win Liga title
- Coronavirus Bihar lockdown in India: dates, guidelines and restrictions
- CORONAVIRUS Paycheck Protection Program (PPP): will I be taxed on my loan?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: what is known about the July payment?