Suárez's return to Barça training hands Valverde Messi respite
Barcelona entertain Valencia on Saturday and the Uruguayan's potential return could see Leo Messi given a bit more time to recover from his calf problem.
Luis Suarez returned to first-team training at Barcelona on Wednesday to give head coach Ernesto Valverde hope that he could feature against Valencia on Saturday and lessen the need to rush Leo Messi back from injury.
Suárez is nearing full fitness again after suffering a calf injury in Barcelona's defeat to Athletic Bilbao on the opening day of the new LaLiga season.
After missing Barça's subsequent 5-2 win over Real Betis and their 2-2 draw at Osasuna, the Uruguay international trained with the team in the build-up to Valencia's visit to Camp Nou to provide Valverde with a welcome boost to his attacking options.
Messi, meanwhile, had been expected to make his first appearance of the season against Valencia after recovering from a similar problem but Valverde may opt not to risk the 32-year-old if Suárez is available.
Good news!— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) September 11, 2019
Luis Suárez back with the squad for part of Wednesday training pic.twitter.com/YVgMAovBVb
The muscle strain sustained on the first day of pre-season training has kept Messi out of Valverde's matchday squads since then, but the Barcelona coach said he hoped to have him back in time to face Valencia.
However, the Spanish champions face a trip to Germany three days after the Valencia game to face Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League and Valverde may give Messi extra rest as he completes his recovery.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG - REAL MADRID Official: PSG's Cavani and Mbappé to miss Real Madrid game
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool are the team to beat in Europe, says Napoli coach Ancelotti
- BAYERN MUNICH Coutinho: "Bayern is more of a close-knit family than my previous clubs"
- FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP Liverpool could face Mexico's Monterrey in Club World Cup semi-final
- REAL MADRID Ødegaard: "I felt it wouldn't be good for me to go back to Real Madrid"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Messi challenge is what Dortmund want – Reus