Ter Stegen says international break has been a "tough blow"
Manuel Neuer is back in the gloves for Germany, much to the displeasure of Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen has expressed frustration with being overlooked by Germany head coach Joachim Low.
Barcelona goalkeeper Ter Stegen was on the bench for both of Germany's Euro 2020 qualifiers during the international break.
Manuel Neuer conceded four goals in a Group C defeat at home to Netherlands, but then kept a clean sheet in an away win against joint-leaders Northern Ireland.
Ter Stegen deputised for Neuer during the 2018-19 season when the Bayern Munich captain was sidelined long-term due to injury.
Neuer has regained the gloves since returning to full fitness, though, and Ter Stegen accepts he is in a frustrating situation.
"It is not easy to find an explanation as I am giving the best account of myself in each game to make the decision more difficult," Ter Stegen said.
"I am trying [to become first-choice] anyway. But this trip with the national team has been a tough blow for me."
Ter Stegen, 27, has played 22 times for his country, who are on track to qualify for Euro 2020 after joining Northern Ireland on 12 points after five games.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Odegaard future comes down to Zidane plans
- Premier League Premier League: how many and which matches can be watched on the BBC?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League may introduce artificial crowd noise
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check US: EIP Cards being mistaken for scam, junk mail
- United States Trump on Minneapolis unrest: "when the looting starts the shooting starts"
- GEORGE FLOYD DEATH George Floyd Memorial Fund: how much has GoFundMe page raised?