Ter Stegen says international break has been a "tough blow"
Manuel Neuer is back in the gloves for Germany, much to the displeasure of Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen has expressed frustration with being overlooked by Germany head coach Joachim Low.
Barcelona goalkeeper Ter Stegen was on the bench for both of Germany's Euro 2020 qualifiers during the international break.
Manuel Neuer conceded four goals in a Group C defeat at home to Netherlands, but then kept a clean sheet in an away win against joint-leaders Northern Ireland.
Ter Stegen deputised for Neuer during the 2018-19 season when the Bayern Munich captain was sidelined long-term due to injury.
Neuer has regained the gloves since returning to full fitness, though, and Ter Stegen accepts he is in a frustrating situation.
"It is not easy to find an explanation as I am giving the best account of myself in each game to make the decision more difficult," Ter Stegen said.
"I am trying [to become first-choice] anyway. But this trip with the national team has been a tough blow for me."
Ter Stegen, 27, has played 22 times for his country, who are on track to qualify for Euro 2020 after joining Northern Ireland on 12 points after five games.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Isco in the midst of another baffling season at Real Madrid
- CHELSEA Lampard looking at the bigger picture with Pulisic
- Serie A Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'
- BARCELONA Vidal on tattoos, his mo-hawk and some advice for Dembélé
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Rodrygo, Vinicius wanted by Brazil in January
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood signs new Man United contract