When Super Pepino met Mr Dillon - a love story of sorts
What a day they must have had together in Butarque. A visit from the Portland Pickles mascot to the home of CD Leganés is a story worth sharing...
Sporting clubs around the world have used mascots to help promote their brand and liven up the crowds on matchday, often with a focus on the younger viewers. We've also seen the larger-than-life characters get competitive in their own, almost-parallel, world. Scampering along in mascot races can be fun, but occasionally there have been some nasty moments when the competition goes too far. These days social media has given a vastly bigger audience for the marketing teams to work with, and they're looking at every angle.
When Pickle met Pepino
Most of the time, of course, the interactions between mascots is good natured, and on Friday one of the most wonderful of occasions was published for everyone to enjoy.
In Spain, and now much further afield, LaLiga's CD Leganés' man-in-a-suit has garnered quite the reputation. Known as Super Pepino ('pepino' being Spanish for cucumber) his bright green colours and smiling face are now a popular addition to matchdays. And he was paid a visit by Mr Dillon, the mascot for the Portland Pickles, a summer collegiate baseball team playing in the West Coast League.
Get to know them | Bats, devils and a palm tree... and 'Super Pepino', LaLiga mascots
Well, their meeting at Butarque was like seeing family members reunited after years apart. Of course, that's arguably exactly what it was! From the Baywatch-esque run towards each other to embrace, via them talking tactics, to the penalty shoot-out, don't be surprised if your emotions are touched most unexpectedly.
Te recomendamos en English
- Mahrez makes Arsenal move claim and says Leicester cost him 'two years' of career
- CHELSEA "Pulisic feels no pressure to be the next Hazard"
- MANCHESTER UNITED Manchester United: returning Martial crucial to improved form, says James
- KYLIAN MBAPPE Mbappé "flirting" with Madrid actress has Real fans dreaming
- BRAZIL Thiago Silva hopes "Zidane leaves Rodrygo on bench" for PSG-Madrid
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City's Rodri taking title race hope from 2018-19 win