Marcelo ruled out of PSG clash with neck injury
The Brazilian defender joins the growing list of absentees for Real Madrid's Champions League clash with PSG on Wednesday.
The selection headache continues to intensify for Zinedine Zidane, with Marcelo the latest player to become unavailable ahead of Real Madrid’s Champions League opener against PSG.
The Brazilian has been diagnosed with a “post-traumatic cervicodorsal” injury, according to a statement released on the club’s website this Monday.
As such, the veteran full-back is expected to miss Wednesday’s clash with PSG in Paris, and could be a doubt for the crunch tie with LaLiga leaders Sevilla on Sunday.
Marcelo joins growing injury list
Marcelo suffered a fall in Saturday’s win against Levante, but continued to play after receiving treatment on the pitch.
This Monday, the defender trained with the rest of the squad as normal. But after complaining of discomfort, the 31-year-old underwent tests and was diagnosed with the neck injury, treatment for which will be based on anti-inflammatories and rest, according to AS columnist Dr. José González.
Mendy to replace Marcelo
Summer signing Ferland Mendy will be expected to come in to replace the injured Marcelo for the clash with PSG.
Zinedine will also be without Isco, Fede Valverde, Luka Modric and Marco Asensio through injury, while captain Sergio Ramos and Nacho are both suspended.
Meanwhile PSG coach Thomas Tuchel will face Madrid without stars Neymar and Kylian Mbappé. The Brazilian misses out as a result of suspension, while his French strike partner is sidelined due to a muscle injury picked up against Toulouse.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Why weren’t the funds from the $3000/$3600 child tax credit not sent with the stimulus check payments?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Golden State Stimulus: How to claim the extra $500 under the California Comeback Plan
- OLYMPICS 2021 | ATHLETICS Seahawks' DK Metcalf impresses in 100m but misses Olympics
- Boxing Boxing legend Mike Tyson believes that Floyd Mayweather is going to win against Logan Paul
- OLYMPICS 2021 | TENNIS Andy Murray targets peak for Wimbledon and Olympics
- Coronavirus Pfizer Vaccine Approval: When and where can children 12-15 get vaccinated?