Marcelo ruled out of PSG clash with neck injury
The Brazilian defender joins the growing list of absentees for Real Madrid's Champions League clash with PSG on Wednesday.
The selection headache continues to intensify for Zinedine Zidane, with Marcelo the latest player to become unavailable ahead of Real Madrid’s Champions League opener against PSG.
The Brazilian has been diagnosed with a “post-traumatic cervicodorsal” injury, according to a statement released on the club’s website this Monday.
As such, the veteran full-back is expected to miss Wednesday’s clash with PSG in Paris, and could be a doubt for the crunch tie with LaLiga leaders Sevilla on Sunday.
Marcelo joins growing injury list
Marcelo suffered a fall in Saturday’s win against Levante, but continued to play after receiving treatment on the pitch.
This Monday, the defender trained with the rest of the squad as normal. But after complaining of discomfort, the 31-year-old underwent tests and was diagnosed with the neck injury, treatment for which will be based on anti-inflammatories and rest, according to AS columnist Dr. José González.
Mendy to replace Marcelo
Summer signing Ferland Mendy will be expected to come in to replace the injured Marcelo for the clash with PSG.
Zinedine will also be without Isco, Fede Valverde, Luka Modric and Marco Asensio through injury, while captain Sergio Ramos and Nacho are both suspended.
Meanwhile PSG coach Thomas Tuchel will face Madrid without stars Neymar and Kylian Mbappé. The Brazilian misses out as a result of suspension, while his French strike partner is sidelined due to a muscle injury picked up against Toulouse.
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week