Liverpool could face Mexico's Monterrey in Club World Cup semi-final
European champions Liverpool could face one of four possible opponents, including Mexican side Monterrey, in the Club World Cup semi-finals.
Mexican giants Monterrey potentially await Liverpool in the semi-finals of the FIFA Club World Cup after the draw was made on Monday.
2005 defeat to Sao Paulo
The Club World Cup remains the only trophy still in existence that Liverpool have never won - they finished as runners-up in the rebranded tournament in 2005, and missed out in two previous attempts at being crowned world champions, losing to Flamengo in 1981 and Independiente in 1984.
Michael Owen performs Club World Cup draw
Champions League winners Liverpool enter the tournament at the final-four stage on 18 December alongside the victors of the Copa Libertadores and could face one of four sides in the semis.
The tournament opens on 11 December with New Caledonian side Hienghène Sport facing either home hopefuls Al-Sadd or the AFC runners-up in Qatar. The winners of that game will then take on Monterrey, who lifted the 2019 CONCACAF Champions League with a 2-1 aggregate win against Tigres, for the right to challenge Liverpool.
On the other side of the draw, South America's continental champions will face ES Tunis or the Asian champions in the semi-finals. So potentially, whoever win this year's Copa Libertadoes (between Boca Juniors, River Plate, Flamengo and Grêmio) or ES Tunis could be finalists..
Qatar, the hosts
The final is scheduled for 21 December and Liverpool are guaranteed to play at least two matches as the third-place play-off takes place on the same day. This year, the tournament will be held in Qatar
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Vinicius misses training over Covid-19 test doubts
- David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain
- REAL MADRID-ALAVÉS Zidane: "Hazard hasn't suffered a relapse, he'll be ready tomorrow"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League quarter final draw Live: how and where to watch
- CORONAVIRUS How to get stimulus check without filing taxes?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how long could voting be delayed?