Ter Stegen: "Neuer's words were inappropriate"
The Barcelona goalkeeper spoke ahead of his side's Champions League opener against Borussia Dortmund and responded to his rival's comments.
Marc-Andre ter Stegen has called the comments from fellow German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer "inappropriate" after criticism over his desire to feature more for the national team.
Ter Stegen and Neuer number one battle
The Barcelona stopper has impressed over the past couple of seasons and suggestions have been made that he deserves his chance as number one for the German team, a role that has been principally that of the Bayern Munich man. Although picking up 22 caps, Ter Stegen has only played one half for his national team this calendar year.
Neuer had said that his compatriot's remark about it being a 'massive blow' not to get some pitch time against the recent qualifier against Northern Ireland was unhelpful to the cause and described it as disrespectful to other German keepers vying for the spot.
During the press conference ahead of Barça's game against Dortmund, Ter Stegen admitted that "there's competition for places and every player wants to play," in response to his countryman.
"That's football," he continued. "Much of the time you are happy, but there are other feelings. I have expectations and I need to express them.
"You can see how I have behaved in recent years. I don't think that Neuer or anyone else should talk about my feelings or assess them.
"His remarks were inappropriate but I don't want to say any more. I want to end this controversy."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- METEOR SHOWER Perseid Meteor Shower: watch and follow live online
- Coronavirus India posts record single-day recoveries since the pandemic started
- US ELECTION Did Kamala Harris call Joe Biden racist as Trump campaign claims?
- BARCELONA Griezmann confident Barcelona will reach Champions League final
- PSG Neymar and Mbappé will stay at PSG, Al-Khelaifi confirms