Valencia president meets players over media silence
Valencia play Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday and the club's president met them in London to discuss their handling of the Marcelino sacking.
Albert Celades showed up for his Champions League press conference ahead of the Chelsea game on his own as Valencia players maintain their media silence after Marcelino was sacked despite winning the Copa del Rey and earning the last Champions League spot by finishing fourth in LaLiga.
On Monday night in London, Anil Murthy, the club's president, met with the captains of the team in an effort to ease tensions ahead of the Champions League clash.
AS understands that the two parties spoke in a situation that is far from normal. The players, who have publicly supported the sacked Asturian coach, want Valencia to give them reasons for his departure. So far, nobody from the club has spoken openly as to why the manager was sacked three weeks into the season.
Murthy and Valencia are not happy with the measures they have taken by not speaking to the media and he has asked them to row in behind new coach Celades. The players are not against the new manager but have united behind their former coach and want answers.
The club's president will speak ahead of the game on Tuesday night in Stamford Bridge. The footballers have not decided yet it they will speak to the media after the game.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA NBA Draft Lottery: What time is it, TV channel, and how to watch it online today?
- NBA When was the last time the Bucks were in the Eastern NBA Conference Finals?
- US NEWS What is a primary election?
- US NEWS When are the NYC mayor elections held?
- Olympic Games How much do Olympic medals cost?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? Tax refund, $3,600 Child Tax Credit portal...