Alba injures hamstring during Dortmund draw
The left-back had to be withdrawn in the first half against Dortmund and Sergi Roberto replaced him with no natural replacement in the Barcelona squad.
Jordi Alba had to be taken off in the first half of Barcelona's draw with Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday night after suffering a hamstring injury and immediately hitting the ground and signalling for attention.
[COMUNICADO MÉDICO] El jugador del primer equipo @JordiAlba tiene unas molestias en el bíceps femoral de la pierna izquierda. Mañana se le harán más pruebas para saber el alcance exacto de la lesión #BVBBarça pic.twitter.com/WpcvoWmX1c— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona_es) September 17, 2019
The medical staff came on and while Alba returned to the field, it was clear he wasn't comfortable, and was soon withdrawn in place of Sergi Roberto.
He tested the hamstring but he decided against continuing and with no left-back replacement in the squad, Sergi Roberto moved to the right and Nelson Semedo moved to the left. He will undergo tests on Wednesday in Barcelona to examine the extent of the injury.
Junior Firpo, one of Barcelona's summer signings, travelled to Dortmund but was left out of the matchday squad, which had to be whittled down to 18 players. It was one point of contention last season with no replacement for Alba, who was exhausted by the business end of the year.
Barcelona play Granada at the weekend. They play Villarreal, Getafe, Inter Milan, Sevilla and then Eibar over the course of the next four weeks as the season ramps up following the international break.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barça president agrees "3 years could be enough for Valverde"
- PRMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us
- Premier League Arsenal ready to pull the plug on Ljungberg after two games
- Villarreal 0-0 Atlético Atlético's scoring drought the worst in 83 top-flight years
- BARCELONA-ESPANYOL The Japanese pearl of the Masia, Kubo returns to Barcelona