"Real Madrid lack reinforcements that can take them to another dimension" - Valdano
"We expected more signings". Jorge Valdano has given his verdict after Real Madrid's disappointing 3-0 defeat to PSG in the Champions League.
Jorge Valdano commended Zinedine Zidane’s approach but criticised the players in his analysis of Real Madrid’s defeat to PSG in Paris on Wednesday night.
Despite the absence of Edinson Cavani, Kylian Mbappé and Neymar, PSG ran in 3-0 winners in the Champions League Group A clash, putting in a formidable performance against a lacklustre Madrid side that have yet to shake off a poor pre-season.
And former Madrid coach and director Valdano placed the blame firmly on the players for Wednesday night’s shambles at the Parc des Princes.
“Zidane's bet on the field today was very exciting but the team lacked conviction,” he told Spain’s El Transistor radio programme.
Up front Benzema and Hazard had a quiet game, while Bale was the only one of the attacking trio that put in a notable performance. And while he didn’t name any player in particular, Valdano pointed the finger at Madrid’s front line, whom he stressed had little involvement and “never troubled” the PSG defence.
Valdano: We expected more signings
Finally, Valdano pointed to Madrid’s summer transfer market business, stating at least one more strong signing was needed in midfield – something that was ruled out after the failed bid for Paul Pogba.
"Real Madrid are lacking reinforcements that can take them to another dimension,” said the Argentine pundit. “We expected more reinforcements [in the summer], especially in the centre of the field.”
While Manchester United are reportedly set to offer Pogba a new contract, the French star is still understood to favour a move to Real Madrid, who could likely make another bid for the 26-year-old next summer.
In the meantime, Zidane’s side will look for some redemption after Wednesday’s disappointment when they travel to the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium for the tricky encounter with LaLiga leaders Sevilla on Sunday.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check passed in Senate updates: who qualifies, how much, when will the payment arrive, Biden signs | Live
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN Why are unemployment benefits changing from $400 to $300?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed in the Senate: when is voting in the House of Representatives?
- US NEWS Child tax credit - $3000 or $3600: how much will it be per child?
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check passed: when will it be sent out and how much?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check passed: when will Biden sign it?