Dutch footballer Kelvin Maynard killed in drive-by shooting
The attack took place in the Langbroekdreef area of Amsterdam on Thursday night, and police are calling for witnesses as they search for two men.
Dutch footballer Kelvin Maynard was shot dead on Thursday night by two men on a motorcycle in Amsterdam. Police confirmed that the 32-year old was driving his car in the Langbroekdreef area when the deadly firearm attack occurred.
Maynard killed in drive-by shooting
The Alphense Boys defender tried to escape the gunmen by driving to a nearby fire station, according to De Telegraaf. However, his vehicle hit the front of the building and nothing could be done to save him despite efforts from the nearby firefighters.
"We can confirm that the fatal victim of the Langbroekdreef shooting incident last night was Kelvin Maynard, 32," said police, who are asking for witnesses while they search for two suspects who are believed to have escaped on a black scooter. "The investigation into his death is ongoing."
A statement on the club's website read: "Last night, we received the terrible news of the death of Kelvin Maynard.
Een woordvoerster bevestigde dat hij voorkomt in de systemen. https://t.co/SSSRBNlHh2— De Telegraaf (@telegraaf) September 19, 2019
"The player of Alphense Boys Sunday 1 was a victim of a shooting incident in Amsterdam-Zuidoost last night. Our deepest condolences go to the wife and children of Kelvin, his family and friends."
Sunday's scheduled match against Hollandia has been postponed following the incident.
Kelvin Maynard had previously played for FC Volendam, Kecskemét, FC Emmen, Royal Antwerp, Burton Albion, SV Spakenburg and Quick Boys.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- Unemployment Benefits Why are recipients seeing unemployment benefits cut?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how many people are still waiting for it?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin trial: can he appeal the sentence?
- SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: interview Florentino Pérez, ten clubs withdraw, reactions, UEFA, clubs
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: Manchester Utd fans break into training ground in anti-Glazer protest