Simeone keeps faith with misfiring Atletico Madrid striker Costa
Atletico Madrid's Diego Costa still has the faith of coach Diego Simeone despite the striker's goal drought continuing against Celta Vigo.
Atletico Madrid head coach Diego Simeone will continue to put his faith in Diego Costa despite the striker's LaLiga goal drought continuing against Celta Vigo.
Simeone's side endured a frustrating time in front of goal at the Estadio Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday as they were held to a goalless draw.
Costa, 30, was booked after the final whistle for his part in an ugly fracas with the Celta Vigo players.
When asked a question about Costa's attitude for his role in the aftermath, Simeone claimed he "didn't see" the incident.
However, the Argentinian has backed Costa to come good even though the ex-Chelsea forward has not found the net in a competitive match since he scored against Alaves in March.
"The numbers are what you say, it's the reality, but I trust Costa," Simeone said.
"I know he'll be fit again and it's a challenge for him. The championship is long and the team needs him."
Simeone: "Hopefully we can get focus"
Simeone called on Costa and the club's other strikers to become more ruthless after Atletico's return of just seven goals in five LaLiga matches in this season so far.
"I think we started the pre-season at a great level, especially for strikers," added Simeone.
"The team looked good and it gives me the feeling that it is normal, when the season starts there are spikes and immediately the goals appear and in others they disappear.
"Hopefully we can get the focus to play back because the situations are there.
"If we do not, we must try to increase the offensive intensity because the goal comes from the rage of wanting to make a goal."
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA and HEALS Act live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news
- SERIE A Opta's Serie A Team of the Season: Cristiano Ronaldo, Immobile...
- Premier League Lampard calls for defensive improvements amid rumours of a clear-out
- CORONAVIRUS Li-Meng Yan: coronavirus was developed in Chinese military lab
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético: Thomas not ruled out of Champions League quarter finals