Josef Martinez: De Boer fears 'serious' injury for Atlanta striker
The prolific Venezuelan, who had set an MLS record for finding the net in 15 consecutive games, was stretchered off against San Jose Earthquakes.
Atlanta United head coach Frank de Boer fears star forward Josef Martínez suffered a "serious" injury in the defending MLS champions' win over San Jose Earthquakes.
Martínez was carried off on the stretcher after hurting his knee as Atlanta defeated the Earthquakes 3-1 on Saturday – ending his MLS record 15-match scoring streak.
The Venezuela international and reigning MLS MVP landed awkwardly after colliding with a team-mate before he was substituted in the 79th minute at Mercedes-Benz Field.
It sent shockwaves around Atlanta, where Martínez has scored 26 goals to help the titleholders up to third in the Eastern Conference in their pursuit of back-to-back MLS championships.
Asked about Martínez post-match, De Boer told reporters: "I'm afraid that he has something serious, but we have to wait. They're evaluating him now."
"Probably tomorrow we can have a better diagnosis and then we have to make our plan," the former Inter and Crystal Palace boss said. "Hopefully it's not so bad. But I can't say if it's good or bad. I don't know.
"We know Josef a little bit -- he's a tough guy. He will not suddenly step off the field. He will have something, that's for sure. But we have to wait. It's too early to predict.
"But I think it's not a good sign that he goes off ... but it's like that. We have to deal with it. Again, we have to wait."
Put it on ice— Atlanta United FC (@ATLUTD) September 21, 2019
Pity finishes off the win! pic.twitter.com/FQLKeCqR35
Goals from Justin Meram, Emerson Hyndman and Gonzalo Martínez saw Atlanta clinch a home play-off match.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO 2020 Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Football Tournament draws: as it happened
- FOOTBALL European Super League, live updates: all English clubs withdraw, reactions, Florentino Pérez, UEFA, clubs
- FOOTBALL European Super League 'hugely embarrassing' for Madrid president Perez
- FOOTBALL Inter and Atletico withdraw as Agnelli says European Super League is a no-go
- George and Clippers nip Blazers late, Irving leads way for Nets
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim