Benzema draws level with Messi
The French striker has bagged 20 goals in the current calendar year with just Lewandowski and Mbappé on target more often than the French striker.
Karim Benzema continues to be Real Madrid's key player in the current year with his second half headed goal securing a vital win for Zidane's men at the Sánchez Pizjuán on Sunday. His strike also brought his personal tally for the year to 20 goals, a feat only matched by four other players across Europe's top five major leagues: Leo Messi, Robert Lewandowski, Kylian Mbappé and Sergio Agüero.
Messi is on 20 goals for the year but the start to the current 2019-20 season has been hampered by injury with the Argentine only appearing last week away to Dortmund for the first time. The Rosario born striker did play a full 45' in Los Cármenes on Saturday as Barcelona fell 2-0 to Granada. Manchester City's Sergio Agüero has also bagged twenty goals in the current calendar year with Robert Lewandowski and Kylian Mbappé both one ahead with the Bayern Múnich and Paris Saint-Germain strikers having hit the target 21 times in 2019.
Manchester City's Agüero has also enjoyed a spectacular start to the current season with eight goals in his new season tally as his City side side have racked up an impressive goals for total of 24 in just six Premier League games to date.
Benzema is joint top scorer in LaLiga (along with Villarreal's Gerard Moreno) and it was only in the game at Vila-real where the French forward failed to find the net in the five LaLiga games to date in the 19-20 season. He scored in the opening day win away to Celta, in the 1-1 home draw with Valladolid, bagged a brace in the 3-2 win over Levante and last night stepped up to the plate bagging the winner in a crucial game for Madrid and Zidane after the dismal mid-week showing in Paris.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Kane: Probably toughest time since I've been at Tottenham
- Premier League Liverpool praise Man United for swift action on racist abuse
- PARIS SAINT-GERMAIN Mbappé, Cavani unable to play 90 minutes yet, says PSG boss Tuchel
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID Clásico decision pushed back to Barcelona and Real Madrid
- ATLÉTICO DE MADRID Atlético de Madrid tracking Porto's youth pearl Fabio Silva
- GALATASARAY-REAL MADRID Zidane: "The rumours bother me; I want to be here forever"