Netherlands hope Dest switches sides before Nations League
The Dutch national team hope Ajax defender and American youngster Sergiño Dest changes his allegiance before the start of the CONCACAF Nations League.
It has been reported that The Royal Dutch Football Association invited the defender for a meet up in an attempt to convince him to switching side before the USMNT calls him up for international duty in the CONCACAF Nations League since once Dest plays an official game with the United States, he won't be able to play for the Netherlands.
- United States of America
A source in contact with CBS Sports said the Dutch federation remains hopeful of Dest joining the Clockwork Orange before the USMNT call-up, with another source close to the player believing Ajax will put pressure on the 18-year-old defender to make the switch.
The US are still favourites to land Dest; however, the Netherlands are going to push hard for the youngster, and in a realistic future with the likes of Daley Blind and Matthijs de Ligt in the mix for the Dutch side, staying in the American squad would mean a much more realistic starter position with the 2020 World Cup in mind.
Ronald Koeman hasn't met with Dest although, with his Ajax history, as he used to play and coach there, it wouldn't come as a surprise if the Dutch strategist reaches out soon, and it wouldn't be a surprise either if US coach Gregg Berhalter does the same, taking a trip to Europe before revealing his squad list for the Nations League matches next month.
The United States men's national team will start their CONCACAF Nations League journey on October 11th against Cuba in Washington DC.
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Man City chief says alleged FFP breaches are "simply not true"
- Qatar 2022 Eto'o: The 2022 World Cup will be an exceptional experience for fans
- Dortmund 2-1 PSG Haaland: Dortmund star touches world 60m record against PSG
- ATLÉTICO MADRID "Anfield's very old, it wouldn't pass the UEFA inspection"
- Champions League Mourinho looking to end six-year Champions League drought
- Transfer market Messi: LA Galaxy offer Barça star escape route amid crisis