Wijnaldum looking forward, not back in the Champions League
Liverpool "created great memories" in the Champions League last season but midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum says he and his team mates have moved on.
Georginio Wijnaldum insists Liverpool will not be reflecting on last season's famous triumph over Barcelona when Champions League football returns to Anfield on Wednesday. Jürgen Klopp's men are preparing to entertain Salzburg in their first European engagement on Merseyside since stunning Lionel Messi and LaLiga winners Barça in an extraordinary semi-final tie in May. Divock Origi and midfielder Wijnaldum both scored twice as the Reds erased a three-goal first-leg deficit and romped to a remarkable 4-3 aggregate victory. Liverpool rode the momentum to a 2-0 win over Tottenham in the final but the highs of last season will be out of mind for the second group game of the club's trophy defence.
New season, new challenges for Liverpool
"What happened in the past is always in the past," Wijnaldum told reporters. "We created great memories but it is not something we should think about. Of course it gives us confidence if you are in a situation like that but it is a totally different Champions League campaign. Different games, different situations, different teams. We just have to make sure we are ready and not think about last season. It is a great memory but we have to look forward to making it even greater and reach the final again."
Magical European nights at Anfield
Salzburg's visit to Anfield ends a run of four successive away matches for Liverpool in all competitions. The Premier League leaders lost to Napoli in their Champions League opener but bounced back with three straight wins, including at Sheffield United on Saturday.
"We all know how Champions League nights are so we will look forward to that," Wijnaldum added. "I didn't [realise] it was four away games, us players must be busy!"
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA Gymnastics Women's Team Finals: participants, format, scoring
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Simone Biles’ family life: who are her parents and boyfriend?
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What is Simone Biles' net worth?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?