Manchester United's worst start of the Premier League era
José Mourinho and David Moyes both endured poor starts in the league during their time at Old Trafford but their records have been surpassed.
Manchester United were held to a 1-1 at home to Arsenal last night - a result which leaves the team tenth in the table with just nine points after seven games. It's the worst start United have had to any league campaign since the old First Division became the Premier League in 1992. You have to go back three decades to find poorer returns - Alex Ferguson's United picked up just seven points from the first seven games in the 1989/90 campaign (beating Arsenal and Milwall, drawing against Crystal Palace and losing to Derby County, Norwich, Everton and Manchester City).
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has started to be questioned for the team's results - his side have won two, drawn three and lost two. During the Premier League era, two other United coaches lost their jobs after their team's registered similar figures. The sides managed by José Mourinho (last season) and David Moyes (2013-14) gained 10 points from the opening seven games - three wins, and draw and three defeats. Moyes only lasted a couple of games more on tge bench at Old Trafford before he was handed his marching orders.
United with four wins in all competitions
Looking at United's results in all competitions under Solskjaer this season - the team has two victories in the Premier League and two from the two cup competitions they are in - they beat Astana 1-0 in the Europa League but had to resolve their EFL Carabao Cup tie against Rochdale in the penalty shoot-out after it finished 1-1 on full-time.
While the figures hardly inspire confidence, Solskjaer insists it's not all doom and gloom: "There are many things we look at and many things that give me loads of confidence. You can talk about the results, I can talk about the six out of seven games good performances. West Ham we know was below par but still not as bad as you lot made it out to be",
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live