In CONCACAF there's no growth opportunity for USA and Mexico
The former United States men's national team coach shared his thoughts around the new CONCACAF Nations League tournament.
Jürgen Klinsmann is clear about his thoughts on the upcoming CONCACAF Nations League. During an interview with ESPN, the former US men's national team coach, called the new continental tournament "a waste of time."
For the German strategist, to be locked inside CONCACAF it closes the opportunities to countries like the United States or Mexico to reach their full potential, something that would come in handy for the important tournaments.
- United States of America
"I think the biggest challenge for the United States, or even Mexico or Costa Rica, for the key countries in this region, is you don't really have the highest competition outside. When you are literally locked inside the Concacaf, and you don't play against Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Chile every year, or you don't play against Holland, Germany, England, Spain, and Italy every year, there is no growth opportunity," Klinsmann said.
The former USMNT coach sees the Nations League as a 'waste of time' as the top-flight teams of the area should be playing against top teams worldwide instead of going up against Cuba, the Virgin Islands, and Martinique, to name a few.
"It's a waste of time because you that need that competition as a country. I mean talking about Mexico, everyone is hoping for the fifth game in the World Cup. You're not reaching that fifth game in the World Cup if you play the teams you are playing now in the Nations League in CONCACAF. So within that system created here, it's almost impossible for the United States or Mexico to get better," concluded the German coach.
Te recomendamos en English
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL George Floyd verdict and closing arguments: what has defense and prosecution stated?
- PLAYSTATION Horizon Zero Dawn free on PS4 and PS5: date, times and how to download
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Overpayment of unemployment benefits: should I give it back?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Why has the demand for vaccines decreased in some states of the country?
- OSCARS 2021 Which movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture each year?
- European Super League Florentino Pérez on European Super League: "We are doing this to save football"