Unaccountable Dembélé refuses to discuss sending off
The French player refuses to discuss his sending off in the LaLiga game against Sevilla with team-mates, club staff and directors.
Ousmane Dembélé had never been sent off in all his 147 games wearing the Rennes, Borussia Dortmund or Barça shirt. His 43 appearances for the French national team too have never seen the winger being sent for an early bath and in his 66 games in the Barcelona shirt, the 22-year-old has only been awarded three yellow cards. Things changed at Camp Nou on Sunday night after Mateu Lahoz handed Ronald Araujo his marching orders with the French player then approaching the official and stating "eres muy malo" (you are very bad) to the referee which saw Mateu issue the player a straight red.
No-one knows what prompted this outburst from Ousmane Dembélé with the French player refusing to talk about the matter later with his colleagues. Valverde was asked in the post match press conference and jokingly claimed: "I'm not sure what he would have said as it's difficult to get him to speak in Spanish. It's a mystery and I'm sure it was not a long sentence...". The Basque coach was not wrong with the referee report showing that the player approached the official remonstrating and claiming that he was "very bad".
Redacción del acta de Mateu Lahoz. Habrá sanción para Dembelé . Se pierde el clásico pic.twitter.com/adPUAVNcOg— Alfredo Martínez (@Alfremartinezz) October 6, 2019
Major El Cláscio doubt
Everything points to the player being handed a two match ban which would rule him out of he first Clásico of the season in a fortnight as Barcelona face Real Madrid at Camp Nou though Barcelona's legal team will launch an appeal hoping to reduce the punishment.
The Frenchman's possible absence comes at a time when Valverde had given the player another vote of confidence selecting him ahead of big summer signing Antoine Griezmann for the Sevilla game. The 22-year-old was instrumental in Suárez's opener and bagged the third goal of the evening as Barça ran out 4-0 winners.
With the player still recovering from recent injury French national team coach Didier Deschamps decided not to call him up for the forthcoming Euro 2020 games against Iceland and Turkey which would have allowed the player regain optimum fitness ahead of the Clásico. The player will now rue his "you are very bad" comment as Barcelona will now have to plan for the October 26 showdown without their mercurial French star.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5 at Black Friday: restock times and deals at Walmart, GameStop, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Stimulus check: what to do if the deadline has passed?
- THANKSGIVING Bank opening hours on Thanksgiving 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
- US NEWS How to cook turkey - recipes for Thanksgiving: time, temperature in oven, seasoning...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Second stimulus check: why are economists calling for a new payment?
- Thanksgiving Stores opening hours in Thanksgiving 2020: Walmart, Target, Costco...
- BARCELONA Two USMNT players make history with Barcelona in Champions League
- BARCELONA Jordi Alba predicts USMNT's Dest to become Barcelona star
- BARCELONA Koeman says nothing behind 'happy' Griezmann not starting in against Kiev
- Champions League Real Madrid's San Siro woe, Lewandowski targets Raul
- FIFA Best Awards Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Mbappé among FIFA 2020 Best candidates
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Inter Milan vs Real Madrid: preview, team news, predicted XIs
- US NEWS Black Friday 2020: when does it start and finish?